There is no doubt that unreinforced building could collapse causing irreversible damage to the building and putting in risk the resident and the environment. Soft building retrofit cost, will depend on the size of the building, conditions and process to apply to retrofit it. The owner have a different alternative to choose and be in compliance with the city and state regulation.
DOES MY BUILDING REQUIRE RETROFITTING?
LADBS identified about 13,500 "soft story" buildings that may be at risk of collapse in a major earthquake.
- Habitable rooms above a garage,
- Carport or open area
Not specifically designed to transmit shear or lateral forces between the story above and the earth.
WHAT IS MY TIMEABLE?
The City has been sending out Orders to Comply since May, 2016.
After receipt of the Order to Comply I have:
- 2 years to submit proof of previous retrofit, or plans to retrofit or demolish.
- 3.5 years to obtain a permit to start construction or demolition.
- 7 years to have completed construction.
WHAT ARE THE STEPS REQUIRED TO COMPLY?
- Most cost effective and code compliant retrofit options.
- Minimum impact on the existing structure.
- Estimate the cost of engineering and construction.
- In-house architecture, civil and structural staff
- Architecture and structural work required.
- Modify the architectural floor plans and site plans.
- Show parking clearances required to acquire permits.
Drawing Approval and Permits:
- We will submit drawings for permitting.
- Process the permit for construction.
- Required structural observations.
- Ensure construction is executed according to plan.
- Meet City Inspection requirements.